- Image by geehall2 via Flickr
If you are one of the millions of people using Gmail, you probably know that Google launched Buzz, its own social network. Launching it, Google made a great mistake, automatically enrolling Gmail users in Buzz and publicly exposing users’ data and their Gmail contacts without their consent.
Many people were complained by this so it was started a class action against Buzz and Google.
Tonight I’ve just received an email from Google telling me about updates on that class action.
Below the email.
“Google rarely contacts Gmail users via email, but we are making an exception to let you know that we’ve reached a settlement in a lawsuit regarding Google Buzz (http://buzz.google.com), a service we launched within Gmail in February of this year.
Shortly after its launch, we heard from a number of people who were concerned about privacy. In addition, we were sued by a group of Buzz users and recently reached a settlement in this case.
The settlement acknowledges that we quickly changed the service to address users’ concerns. In addition, Google has committed $8.5 million to an independent fund, most of which will support organizations promoting privacy education and policy on the web. We will also do more to educate people about privacy controls specific to Buzz. The more people know about privacy online, the better their online experience will be.
Just to be clear, this is not a settlement in which people who use Gmail can file to receive compensation. Everyone in the U.S. who uses Gmail is included in the settlement, unless you personally decide to opt out before December 6, 2010. The Court will consider final approval of the agreement on January 31, 2011. This email is a summary of the settlement, and more detailed information and instructions approved by the court, including instructions about how to opt out, object, or comment, are available at http://www.BuzzClassAction.com.”
As you can see by the email, there is a site where you can have more information about the litigation.
In the home page there is a useful information: what you can now do?
Below the answer from Buzz Class Action site.
What Are My Options?
- EXCLUDE YOURSELF – This is the only option that allows you to bring your own lawsuit, or be part of any other lawsuit against Google about the legal claims resolved in this Settlement. You must mail your request for exclusion so that it is received no later than December 6, 2010.
- OBJECT – Write to the Court about why you do not like the Settlement. Your objection must be received by January 10, 2011.
- GO TO A HEARING – Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement. Send your Notice of Intent to Appear so that it is received no later than January 10, 2011.
- DO NOTHING – Give up your rights to sue Google about the legal claims in this case and thereby accept the terms of this Settlement.
So, what will you do?