There are two sides to this question from a legal perspective. But actually only one answer: YES.
- There is the legal side of it: Depending on where you are you may fall under European including UK, American (Californian) or Australian privacy laws. The list could go on since most countries have some sort of privacy regulations that extend onto the web – and hefty penalties for non-compliance.
Yes. Campaign Monitor requires of you as a user to adopt and maintain a policy that complies with all applicable privacy laws (…):
Don’t forget that you need the individual’s consent or you make yourself liable to anti-spam laws.
– What kind of personal data is collected
– Describe how this information will be used by the company.
– Describe how this information will be transferred to third party companies.
– Provide instructions on how users can modify or delete their personal information.
– Provide instructions on how users can opt-out of future communications.
Campaign Monitor is an email address management and message sending service provided by Freshview Pty Ltd.
Ideally you would tell the users what the service does in general and how you are using it.
Yes, when sending out email newsletters you must honor anti-spam regulation such as the CAN-SPAM act.
What do I do now?
You can either hire a lawyer, write your own complete policy or use iubenda’s generator right away to make your policy for you. The Campaign Monitor clause falls under our free limits.
- Define the services and categories of data collection your site/app is making use of.
- Add the services (and categories of data collection like “Mailing List or Newsletter”) you are using to your policy. iubenda now takes care of your policy and generates it for you.
- You can either link to your policy or embed the text into your site/app.