- Are you running KISSmetrics too? Just add our KISSmetrics clause into the mix
Quick Start Guide for iubenda with Google Analytics
- Sign up/Sign in and choose our clause called "Google Analytics";
- Add French, German, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish if you need it, it automatically duplicates the clauses from the English version;
- Do you use Universal Analytics and User ID? See this.
There are two sides to this question from a legal perspective. But actually only one answer: YES.
- There is the legal side of it: Depending on where you are you may fall under European, American (Californian) or Australian privacy laws. The list could go on since most countries have some sort of privacy regulations that extend onto the web - and hefty penalties for non-compliance. Check out our Bonus for anonymizeIP
- What kind of personal data is collected
- Describe how this information will be used by the company.
- Describe how this information will be transferred to third party companies.
- Provide instructions on how users can modify or delete their personal information.
- Provide instructions on how users can opt-out of future communications.
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google. Google utilizes the data collected to track and examine the use of www.example.com, to prepare reports on its activities and share them with other Google services.
Google may use the data collected to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Ideally you would tell the users what the service does in general and how you are using it.
What do I do now?
You can either hire a lawyer, write your own policy or use iubenda's generator right away to make your policy. The Google Analytics clause falls under our free limits.
- Define the services and categories of data collection your app/site is making use of.
- Add the services (and categories of data collection like "have a contact form") you are using to your policy. iubenda now takes care of your policy and generates it for you.
- You can either link to your policy or embed the text into your app/site.
Bonus 1: Display Advertising for Google Analytics
It's possible to update your Google Analytics implementation with a snippet to support Display Advertising. This snippet makes use of the DoubleClick cookie and will additionally allow you to track things like
- Remarketing with Google Analytics,
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting,
- the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration,
- and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting.
Bonus 2: Lawful use of Google Analytics in Germany
To ensure compliance in Germany, the German DPA of Hamburg has released guidelines for helping website operators with Google Analytics and privacy law compliance. Therefore you have to:
- Enter into a data processing agreement with Google. This is being done by using a standard agreement approved by the DPAs (now there's the Data Processing Amendment for the rest of Europe)
- Use the "_anonymizeIp()" function (more information here)
- delete all old data that was collected using non-compliant Google Analytics, close old Google Analytics Profiles and establish new profiles