Here are the most relevant parts:
- The Google Analytics Advertising Features you’ve implemented.
- How you and third-party vendors use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) or other first-party identifiers, and third-party cookies (such as Google advertising cookies) or other third-party identifiers together.
- How visitors can opt-out of the Google Analytics Advertising Features you use, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or any other available means (for example, the NAI’s consumer opt-out).
We also encourage you to point users to Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs for the web.
European Union user consent policy
When using Google Analytics Advertising Features, you must also comply with the European Union User Consent Policy.
If you’ve enabled interest-based advertising, including Remarketing, with Google Analytics in connection with other Google services, you must follow the policies applicable to those Google services (like the Google Ads Policy for Personalized advertising and its sensitive category restrictions, and the Platform Program Policies).
If you use Google Analytics to collect sensitive information about your visitors, as described in the Google Ads sensitive category restrictions, you may not use Google Analytics to collect data for the purpose of interest based advertising.
In short, Google asks you to:
- inform users about the Google Analytics features you use;
- obtain end users’ legally valid consent to:
- the collection, sharing, and use of personal data for personalization of ads;
- retain records of consent given by end users and provide end users with clear instructions for revocation of consent.
Google Analytics’ enhanced advertising features
There are, however, specific additional requirements which apply when using Google Analytics’ enhanced advertising features such as Remarketing; Google Display Network Impression Reporting; Demographics and Interest Reporting; integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data for advertising purposes (including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers); and the User-ID feature.
Meeting the Requirements of Google’s “EU user consent policy”
We suggest that you also take a look at Google’s European Union User Consent Policy. This Google policy lists additional requirements specific to how you must handle data and consents of end users based in the European Economic Area, and compliance with it is vital. Google states:
If your agreement with Google incorporates this policy, or you otherwise use a Google product that incorporates this policy, you must ensure that certain disclosures are given to, and consents obtained from, end users in the European Economic Area. If you fail to comply with this policy, we may limit or suspend your use of the Google product and/or terminate your agreement.
How iubenda can help
With 600+ available clauses, our privacy and cookie policies contain all elements commonly required across many regions and services, while applying the strictest standards by default – giving you the option to fully customize as needed.
- Google Analytics
- Remarketing with Google Analytics – In which you outline that you connect tracking activity performed by Google Analytics and its cookies with the Google Ads network.
- Google Analytics Advertising Reporting Features – In which you outline that you’ve activated any Google Advertising Reporting Features such as the use of DoubleClick Campaign Manager reporting, DoubleClick Bid Manager reporting or the Google Display Network Impression Reporting.
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interests Reports – In which you outline that you’ve activated display advertiser features such as the use of demographics and interest data for your analytics reports.
- Google Ads Remarketing – In which you outline that traffic on your site gets connected to the Google Ads network for remarketing purposes.
- Google Ads Similar Audiences – In which you outline that you’re managing your ads through Google Ads Similar audiences.
- Google Ad Manager Audience Extension – In which you outline that the traffic on your site gets connected to the Google Ad Manager network for remarketing purposes.
- User ID extension for Google Analytics – A feature used for associating multiple sessions with a unique ID.
- Google Signals – A feature that enhances remarketing & reporting by giving you cross-device user reports.
The service formerly known as Display Advertising extension for Google Analytics has been turned into two separate services:
- Google Analytics Advertising Reporting Features
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interests Reports
The Google Analytics clause is available for free, while other services require a Pro License.
Our cookie consent management solution allows you to:
- obtain and save cookie consent settings;
- preventively block scripts prior to consent; and
- keep track of consent and save consent settings for each user for up to 12 months from the last site visit.