Here’s an overview of what Google had to say:
When using Google Analytics Advertising Features, you must also comply with the European Union User Consent Policy.
If you’ve enabled interest-based advertising, including Remarketing, with Google Analytics in connection with other Google services, you must follow the policies applicable to those Google services (like the Google Ads Policy for Personalized advertising and its sensitive category restrictions, and the Platform Program Policies). If you use Google Analytics to collect sensitive information about your visitors, as described in the Google Ads sensitive category restrictions, you may not use Google Analytics to collect data for the purpose of interest based advertising.
There are, however, specific additional requirements which apply when using Google Analytics’ enhanced advertising features such as Remarketing; Google Display Network Impression Reporting; Demographics and Interest Reporting; integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data for advertising purposes (including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers); and the User-ID feature.
The following are are practical suggestions for making your website or app compliant when using advanced Google Analytics features.
Adding clauses to cover Google Analytics advertising features
- Google Analytics Advertising Reporting Features – in which you outline that you’ve activated any Google Advertising Reporting Features such as the use of DoubleClick Campaign Manager reporting, DoubleClick Bid Manager reporting or the Google Display Network Impression Reporting.
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interests Reports – in which you outline that you’ve activated display advertiser features such as the use of demographics and interest data for your analytics reports.
- Remarketing with Google Analytics – in which you outline that you connect tracking activity performed by Google Analytics and its cookies with the Google Ads network.
- Google Ads Remarketing – in which you outline that traffic on your site gets connected to the Google Ads network for remarketing purposes.
- Google Ads Similar Audiences – in which you outline that you’re managing your ads through Google Ads Similar audiences.
- Google Ad Manager Audience Extension – in which you outline that the traffic on your site gets connected to the Google Ad Manager network for remarketing purposes.
- User ID extension for Google Analytics – a feature used for associating multiple sessions with a unique ID.
- Google Signals – a feature that enhances remarketing & reporting by giving you cross-device user reports.
Meeting the Requirements of Google’s “EU user consent policy”
Once you’ve added the clauses on Google Analytics advertising features, we suggest that you also take a look at Google’s European Union User Consent Policy. This Google policy lists additional requirements specific to how you must handle data and consents of end users based in the European Economic Area, and compliance with it is vital. Google states:
If your agreement with Google incorporates this policy, or you otherwise use a Google product that incorporates this policy, you must ensure that certain disclosures are given to, and consents obtained from, end users in the European Economic Area. If you fail to comply with this policy, we may limit or suspend your use of the Google product and/or terminate your agreement.
How you can meet these requirements
Once installed and configured, the Cookie Solution then:
- blocks the installation of cookies until user consent is obtained;
- allows you to demonstrate proof of consent; and
- allows you to ‘remember’ user consent for up to 12 months.
You can read more about the Cookie Solution here or click here get started with the Cookie Solution.